NFS: Undercover vs. Midnight Club LA

Leks

Number of posts : 96
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, Le Mans Series, GT

Male

NFS: Undercover vs. Midnight Club LA

Post by Leks on 20th November 2008, 16:27

Here are two reviews from gamespot.

I've been to LA, and midnight club apparently represents it very well so I know which one im getting pirat

NFS

For the most part, the reaction to the last few Need for Speed games was the same: "Why aren't they more like Need for Speed Most Wanted?" "Where are the cheesy cutscenes and the over-the-top cop chases?" It seems as if EA heard those cries, because for better or for worse, Need for Speed Undercover feels like Most Wanted.

In Undercover you play the role of...wait for it...an undercover officer. Along with agent Chase Linh, played by the attractive Maggie Q, your job is to take down a group of street racers that have somehow become involved in an international smuggling ring. The story is told via campy cutscenes that fail to capture the charm of Most Wanted thanks to uninteresting characters and a predictable plot. Having a story provides incentive to make it through race after race, but the whole "this is cheesy so it's cool" thing feels kind of forced this time around.
    The races are short--sometimes as short as 20 seconds, and almost never longer than five minutes. Another cool thing the game does is it lets you instantly jump to the closest race by pressing down on the D pad. If you want to find a specific event you can press up and you're taken to a GPS map, where you can instantly go to the race of your choice. It'll save you a lot of needless backtracking, and combined with the short races, makes sure that Undercover never gets boring.

If you're one of the many people who loved Need for Speed Most Wanted, flaws and all, you'll find a lot to like in Undercover. It's not very original and there's no excuse for the often painfully slow frame rate, but there's no denying that it's just good fun to run from the cops and wreak havoc on a city in the process.

[b]

Club LA

Midnight Club Los Angeles has a lot going for it: excellent graphics; fast, intense racing that takes place day or night; and numerous online modes that support up to 16 racers. Unfortunately, it has a few rather significant problems that hold it back, including a small roster of vehicles and gameplay that, while fun, doesn't break any new ground. But most of all, it is Midnight Club's excessive difficulty that makes it a very good racing game rather than a great one.

If you can look past Midnight Club's many frustrating aspects (unlockable special abilities that do things like slow down time and clear cars out of your path help alleviate some, but not all, of the problems), there's a very solid racer to be found. When the difficulty is just right (it happens occasionally), and you take advantage of the simple-yet-effective drafting mechanic, races are exciting and finishes are tight. There's also a lot of enjoyment in the game's multiplayer component, which supports up to 16 racers via system link, as well as online. You can create your own races, challenge folks who happen to be driving around to standard races, or play one of the game's unique modes, such as Capture the Flag, Team Capture the Flag, Keepaway (get a flag then keep it away from everyone), Stockpile (whoever returns the most flags to his base wins), and more. Because it's a level playing field and you don't have to deal with the AI, multiplayer is where Midnight Club is at its best. Going online also gives you the opportunity to show off your ride to the community where others can rate your car's looks and even purchase it.

Midnight Club Los Angeles is exciting, beautiful, and great when played online. It's a shame that its difficulty is so uneven, because this issue and other problems take your attention away from what is an otherwise very good racing game.

I quite fancy an enjoyable, non sim racing game. LA it is cheers

in.s@ne

Number of posts : 159
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1

Male

Re: NFS: Undercover vs. Midnight Club LA

Post by in.s@ne on 20th November 2008, 18:34

It's on it's way to me... although it'll be a few days before it arrives for testing unfortunately
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Post by Mike on 1st December 2008, 07:58

Have you got it yet In.s@ne?

is it any good?

in.s@ne

Male

Post by in.s@ne on 2nd December 2008, 00:55

I do... and it's different.
    If you liked free roam or the 15 minute pursuits from Most Wanted, then probably not the game for you.
    Being strange, I play it with my Logitech Momo, and the response isn't bad, even if the force feedback is a bit strong.
    It's certainly not sim racing, and if you're good enough to use the handbrake, I believe you can get smoke going around corners.

I go against the masses and actually enjoy playing it - it's a bit of a challenge, but not so difficult that you can never win.
    Would recommend
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike on 2nd December 2008, 02:49

Nice review In.s@ne, most certainly a game ill shall look at getting once I get a decent console Very Happy

Number of posts : 96
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, Le Mans Series, GT

Male

Post by Leks on 2nd December 2008, 05:42

You've been threatening to get one for years

in.s@ne

Male

Post by in.s@ne on 2nd December 2008, 22:43

I should mention that this is the PC version that I was playing...
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike on 3rd December 2008, 05:50

Well then, PC version it is Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 20th October 2017, 02:52