Schumacher gets number 3

Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Schumacher gets number 3

Post by Ross on 21st January 2010, 08:40

So Ross Brawn has accepted Michael Schumacher's request to change his car number from 4 to 3, because the German is allegedly 'superstitious' that he has always run better on odd numbers.

But there's more to it than that. Schumi is already playing the psychological game with team-mate Nico Rosberg. There's been alot of chat within the Schumacher camp about the history the seven-time champ and Ross Brawn have together, which will no doubt make Rosberg slightly wary.

It's no secret that Brawn is likely to favour one driver over the other, something that was evident even last year between Button and Barrichello (although it will be thoroughly denied), and by simply accepting Schuey's request to switch numbers, Nico's suspicions will only grow.

And whether you are superstitious or not, it's no coincidence that Schumacher did better with odd numbers. A driver with an odd number is the team's first driver, and generally, that means the team's favoured.

Other than plain arrogance, which, let's face it, is entirely possible, there is no valid reason for the switch other than the psychology of it.

Schumacher was always going to have the upper-hand, and it's begun even before the launch of the car.

Oh, and speaking of arrogance, it's amusing that Schumacher seems to have forgotten which number he had on the car during his off season in 2005.

Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Re: Schumacher gets number 3

Post by Mike on 21st January 2010, 11:34

I don't believe the 'Odd numbers make me luckier' line.

As you say I think it runs deeper than this. Nico must be feeling pig sick!

Personally I think its more a superiority thing. Schumacher has a will to win, be the best AND be number one. Number 2 certainly wont do and I bet he's smiling through gritted teeth as he accepts the number 3.

Current date/time is 12th December 2017, 16:48