Sauber F1 team call on Ex-Toyota Driver Kamui Kobayashi

Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Sauber F1 team call on Ex-Toyota Driver Kamui Kobayashi

Post by Mike on 17th December 2009, 02:14

Sauber sign Kamui Kobayashi

Sauber have signed Japan's Kamui Kobayashi as one of their two race drivers for the 2010 Formula 1 season.

Kobayashi, 23, impressed for Toyota while standing in for the injured Timo Glock in the final two races of 2009.

A test driver for the team in 2008 and 2009, he seized his chance by finishing sixth in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"I am very happy that my two races in 2009 have earned me a cockpit place," said Kobayashi.

"I will do my very best for Peter Sauber's team and I am proud to be able to carry on flying the Japanese flag in Formula 1."

Kobayashi is the first driver to join the team, which is back in the ownership of founder Peter Sauber after BMW withdrew from F1 at the end of the 2009 season.

He had been tipped to land a race drive for Toyota after his eye-catching display in Abu Dhabi, but his hopes were dashed when the Japanese manufacturer followed BMW in quitting the sport.

Sauber said he was won over by Kobayashi's performances in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

"Particularly in the Abu Dhabi race, Kamui demonstrated not only that he can drive fast and aggressively, but also his ability to successfully implement a strategy," he said.

"I am convinced he has a great deal of potential and will be able to make the most of it in our team."

As reported yesterday but Turn Two, the first for news.

See Turn Two's 2010 driver line-up predicitions

Current date/time is 19th October 2017, 01:29