Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

My article

Post by Ross on 17th April 2009, 12:27

Here is my most recent article that I wrote for Bleacher Report:

Lots of fuss over something so trivial-gate

It's always hard not to be biased, especially in sport. Every writer, columnist, journo and pundit has their favourite teams, players, riders or drivers, and ones they don't like so much. It's also the case, that when something of a controversy crops up, which in Formula One is very frequently, it's hard to write in a way that isn't expressive of one's personal convictions.

I will now tell you, therefore, why I think that making alot of noise over such a small thing as the rear-diffusers nailed onto the back of the Brawn, Toyota and Williams is very, very pointless. And I will also suggest that even though I find it so pointless, I completely agree with the likes of Renault, Ferrari and BMW, all of whom have protested against this minor thing.

Let's start then, with the defence. Ross Brawn used to work for Ferrari, as we very well know. He was also under the watchful eye of Flavio Briatore when he worked at Benetton in the early '90s. You would therefore expect that he holds the utmost respect and graciousness towards his old teams, and you would be absolutely right to assume this.

In the same sense, you would fancy that Ferrari and Renault, teams with which Ross Brawn worked to bring home a magnificent 7 drivers' titles and 8 constructors' titles in total, would also show respect to Brawn GP's team principal and founder. In assuming this, however, you would be wrong.

Ross Brawn is no malicious crook out to disable the opposition; he is simply a man on a mission to win through his success, not through the downfall of others. Brilliant.

Ferrari and Renault are not like this. Whether it is through their invariable success in the past, and subsequent expectations resting on their shoulders, they look for any cracks of weakness or vulnerability in their rivals, and chip away at them. Not only is this a quick and convenient way of getting what they want, but a statement that they are to be feared rather than respected, because they have the power.

So when the ex-world championship squads teamed-up with BMW, Red Bull and McLaren to make a big stink over the vulnerability they saw in Brawn, Toyota and Williams, which was of course the chance that they were in breach of the technical regulations, it came as no surprise that despite the fact three of these teams were already developing the 'double-decker' diffusers they were busy protesting against, they would try to hamper those ahead rather than put in the effort to catch up themselves.

It really was a pathetic all-out plea to the FIA made by these 5 teams, because they clearly knew the outcome would go in favour of their rivals, which is why they had already started building their own interim designs.

The most pathetic thing of all though, came after the inevitable verdict had been reached, and it was the response from BMW team principal Mario Theissen, when asked by Autosport whether the team had decided to withdraw their appeal:

"It's not decided yet. We will wait for the written decision."

This makes me wonder. I sit here so often, slating the FIA for making a mockery of their own sport, and explaining why I respect the teams for their commitment to Formula 1, and their apparent lack of fear to stand up to the sport's governing body. And after all of that, a globally-recognised brand in BMW who are constantly under the spotlight in F1 have continued in something that shouldn't have been allowed to go ahead in the first place.

From now on, if Max Mosely wants to introduce a $3 budget cap and limit the cars to 60mph, I will stand by his decision, because it is now clear that of everybody involved in Formula One, the only people that sincerely care about its reputation are the fans, because the people on the inside, with jobs any supporter would give his life to experience, obviously could not care less about the already-shattered reputation this once glorious sport has to carry around.

One more thing: as much as poor Brawn, Williams and Toyota have had to endure, I am 100% opposed to the very sneaky and sly diffusers that go against every single thing the 2009 rule changes stand for.

Expect an appeal from me in the coming weeks.

Article link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/157822-lots-of-fuss-over-something-so-trivial-gate
    Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/20138-Ross-Messinger

Current date/time is 15th December 2017, 18:39