Your greatest drivers in modern history

Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Your greatest drivers in modern history

Post by Mike on 18th February 2009, 18:12

Me and Ross are discussing on MSN how we think will be champion. This lead on to the best drivers. Personally I think the best driver in the field is Kimi Raikkonen. Without a doubt I think he could beat anyone when he wants to. I think he is the most naturally skilled driver out there and really could take the championship in a blitz if he cared enough. However we have Alonso. Now im not sure whether Alonso is as good or better than Kimi. Here we have two drivers who have beaten, one more outright than the other, the most successful driver of all time and arguably the best ever. Alonso beat MS win a great car and Kimi beat him at his favourite track and one of his best, Spa. Kimi never had a car that could beat MS but what he lacked in reliability of the fragile McLaren he made up in skill. Upon thinking this in pops a Mr J.P. Montoya. Again in a better car than the Williams could have really taken the fire to Schumacher.
    Then in popped the Hakkinen & MS battles. Hakkinen beat Schumacher in 1998 and really took him to the wire, albeit in a better car than the developing Ferrari. Hakkinen matched MS for a majority of his Motorsport life. I hark back to the F3000 at Macau when they had that famous coming together. On the talk of F3000's Senna and Brundel pop into the equasion. Now it is well known that Brundle matched Senna and took one of the greatest drivers ever down to the lasts of the championship. He beat Ayrton as Silverstone when both decided to go for Euro f3000 points rather than the bread and butter British F3000 points. Many tales hang about how Brundel had the better engine which Senna found out about later in the championship however many tales also tell about how Senna had the better chassis and this evened it out. Later Senna would face ,in my mind, another candidate for greatest driver ever. Alan Prost. Prost was calculated and never showed his true pace. He won races as slow as he could which is a rare rare talent. Not only would prost and Senna fight it out but two other very talented drivers would join the party; Mansell and Piquet. Mansell was a driver built on pure grit than talent and won over hearts rather than heads. However his grit made up for his apparent lack of raw talent. His drive at Silverstone where he came from a substantial distance behind Piquet, break the lap record several times over and overtake the brilliant Brazilian at Stowe in a move which leaves my gobsmaked is something which you cant count a man for.

As for the Brazilian he alwyas had the best car when he was winning. Had it not been for Brabhams problems innovating the half way pitstop he could have won the 1982 championship with ease. But so could have prost if it hadnt been for the Renault which always seemd to fail him in vital races. (the Austrian GP which De Angelis won but a milimeter from Rosberg). A driver who is overlooked from the 1982 season is John Watson who was runner up.

Keke Rosberg was a racer. Should he have won in 1982? no. My arguments for that are with two drivers who should have won it. Pironi and Gilles. We all know about Gilles and how skilled he was, but what about Pironi? Pironi was a very talented driver. He was hired by Ferrari because of this and really should have taken the championship in 1982, most probably regardless of Gilles. He had a good pedigree with Tyrell and should have been a champion.

This post has been aload of babble. Try to make sense of it please. One day i shall come back to this, correct it and give it better structure. Who knows I might even start a blog on some blog site with it.

Your thoughts?

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Re: Your greatest drivers in modern history

Post by Ross on 18th February 2009, 18:26

Ok let's go through this as I read:

1. Kimi's beating Schumacher at Spa is irrelevant as as well as it being a good track for Schumacher, it is Kimi's single best, whereas France was Schumacher's best.

2. Hakkinen was just lucky that he hit his prime at the same time that Schumacher was strong enough to make Hakkinen's triumph look more impressive but at the same time having a better car than the Ferrari was. The whole broken leg scenario played into the hands of Hakkinen, for sure, but look how close it was between Hakkinen and Irvine that year, a single point I believe? Very, very close. Had Schumacher been there, the better driver over Irvine, who know what the situation could have been.

3. I don't wanna go into the Senna/Brundle situation too much as I rate both drivers, but as far as I'm concerned Senna was the better driver in F3000 and was always destined to be. However Brundle could have been very, very successful had it materialised.

4. Wow what a long post Razz

going bed night lol argue back if you wish I'll win though because my opinion is more valid.

Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Post by Mike on 18th February 2009, 18:35

Kimi was beating Schumacher at france till he overshot the brake zone on oil

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Post by Ross on 19th February 2009, 04:57

That doesn't mean he's the better driver, he's allowed to be beaten...

For me, not including Schumacher, the greatest driver of modern F1 since Senna or Prost has been Fernando Alonso.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 28th June 2017, 01:14