Sandstorm wrecks testing plans in Bahrain

Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Sandstorm wrecks testing plans in Bahrain

Post by Ross on 12th February 2009, 11:19

The third day of the three-team test at Bahrain's Sakhir circuit was once again disrupted by strong winds and sandstorms, meaning Ferrari, BMW Sauber and Toyota all lost valuable track time.

Wednesday's session was cut to a mere hour and a half as poor visibility and treacherous conditions meant the medical helicopter could not take off, confining teams to their garages. Thursday brought yet worse conditions, and officials deemed the circuit too dangerous to allow cars out onto the track. The only opportunity to complete some mileage that the teams could find was a single installation lap, during which drivers found the circuit dusty and undriveable.

The poor conditions were especially disappointing for Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen and Toyota's Jarno Trulli, as today was due to be their first day at the middle-eastern circuit.

"I've never seen a sandstorm in the desert before so this is a new experience for me,” Trulli said.

“It's obviously a pity that we have been stuck in the pits both yesterday and today.

“I went out for one installation lap in the morning and the track was covered in dust.

“My first test in Portugal was also heavily disrupted by the cold and the rain so I'm itching to have a real run in the car.

“Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to do more work."

BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica was the other driver set to complete the day's testing, and wrap up his third and final outing. The team's test driver Christian Klien will be present to complete what will be BMW's last day of testing at the desert circuit tomorrow, before they head back to Europe to continue with their 2009 developments closer to home.

Trulli and Raikkonen both have some consolation: they will both make another attempt to clock some lap times on Friday and throughout next week.

Stay with turntwo.co.uk for the latest updates from F1's pre-season testing at Bahrain and Jerez throughout the rest of the week.

Wrote this one myself Smile

Current date/time is 28th June 2017, 01:09