Alonso to the big red machine

Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Alonso to the big red machine

Post by Mike on 28th December 2008, 19:19

ROME — Two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso could start driving for Ferrari in 2011 or even sooner if Kimi Raikkonen doesn't shine, Italian sports paper La Gazzetta Sportiva reported on Sunday.

Gazzetta wrote without attribution that a deal had been made that could bring Alonso to Ferrari in 2011 on a contract of three or four years, although both sides are keeping their options open.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo was vague about the team's long-term driver options when chatting with journalists at a recent holiday dinner, the paper reported.

"We have (Felipe) Massa and Raikkonen under contract for the next two years," Montezemolo said. "As for the future, we'll see. Alonso is a great champion, but life is long. He's young."

Gazzetta indicated that the pressure is on Raikkonen, the 2007 world champion, to deliver. Ferrari officials declined to comment on the report.

Last month, Alonso opted to stay with Renault, signing a two-year contract extension that will keep him at the French Formula One team through 2010.

Last edited by Mike on 30th December 2008, 13:49; edited 1 time in total

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Re: Alonso to the big red machine

Post by Ross on 30th December 2008, 13:30

Wow, this is something I'd find really interesting, but I am genuinly finding it hard to be interested in Formula One anymore, I have, and I never thought I'd say this, fallen out of love with it.

I just can't be bothered with any speculation, it's just all been ruined by Mosley's rule changes.

in.s@ne

Number of posts : 159
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1

Male

Post by in.s@ne on 30th December 2008, 17:57

I think Renault need a better car really. Their 08 chassis ended up being fantastic, but it was a bit late, and they only need another 20 brake to be REALLY competitive.
    That would make things interesting...
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Post by Ross on 31st December 2008, 08:25

Damn the engine freeze, they will be pretty much be resigned to the fact that the only improvement possibilities in 09 will be that if they make a better car or if other teams don't improve as much. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Cosworth come in in 2010, because the engine freeze will be broken.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17th October 2017, 03:15